Monday, March 9, 2009

Typical Americanian


Isn’t the American education system great? There are kids out there who actually are less informed than this ditzy character from the “Luann” comic strip, which appeared on Sunday. At least Tiffany, the comic character, knows that there is some war going on in a land called Iranistan and wants to bring the troops back home.


Noble...I guess.


Most children in the United States of Delusions don’t even know we’re at war. Well, not really. War was never officially declared by the U.S., but that’s another story. Many children don’t even know what 9/11 was about. I wish I was kidding but I have heard it with my own ears. Is it any surprise that most children can’t even find their own country on a world map? Since most kids attending American schools are already kind of dumb anyway, let’s cut the budget for education even further.


Besides, what is really the benefit in knowing where one’s own country is located? Or Iranistan? I was reading in Homer’s blog the other day that some Republican politician in Arizona was quoted saying: “Education does not create jobs.”


Wow!


Am I shocked? Yes. Am I surprised? No. Again I wonder why there isn’t more of an outrage about such a comment. I guess a career in flipping burgers and barely making minimum wage is every American’s dream. Americans will fight to the death for the useless right to bear arms but won’t move a finger to achieve something beneficial like...oh, let’s say...having universal health care for every single citizen. I forgot to mention that health care too is a “privilege” in this country. Some Republican politician said so on TV a few days ago.


In most of the industrialized nations around the world, free access to education and health care is an undisputed basic human right. In the United States of Cluelessness people have the right to own big guns and beat up gay people.


Is this a great country or what?


No comments: